The History of Hillview

Since 1940s to the late 1980s, Hillview was viewed as an industrial area. Hillview had several big industries setup such as the Old Ford Motor Factory, Castrol Oil Company, Union Carbide & Carriage Daimler-Benz car assembly plant. The Hume Avenue located in Hillview was named after Walter R Hume, who founded Hume Pipe Company. Apart from the Old Ford Motor Factory, all other factories have now been finished to make way for residential developments.

During World War II, Hillview experienced one of the most intense battles in Singapore. Hillview is located right beside Bukit Timah Hill, which held a huge strategic and tactical importance to the Japanese and the British forces. The Ford Motor Factory located in Hillview, served as the official place of surrender by the British forces to Japanese army, lead by General Yamashita Tomoyuki.

The Princess Elizabeth Estate located along the Hillview Avenue’s Elizabeth Drive, was built in 1951 to commemorate and celebrate the marriage of Princess Elizabeth to Prince Philip, which has taken place in 1947. Princess Elizabeth later became Her Royal Majesty, the Queen of the British Empire.

The Housing Development Board (HDB) built a public housing scheme in 1979 at the end of the north end of Hillview, which had a community centre, a wet market, a hawker centre and some neighbourhood shops. In 1999, the government of Singapore announced that the HDB estate would be relocated to Bukit Gombak. Hillview is now an enclave with several private condominiums and landed properties. It has several restaurants, watering holes, cafes and convenience stores located close.

Mont Botanik Residence

Check Out Post on Mont Botanik Residence

Kent Ridge Hill Residences Condo Location